- Admissions & Aid
- Faculty & Research
- Life at HDS
- News & Events
- Alumni & Friends
Harvard Theological Studies
Complete List of Titles
65. Bodman, Whitney S. The Poetics of Iblis: Narrative Theology in the Qur'an, 2011.
64. Nasrallah, Laura, Charalambos Bakirtzis, and Steven J. Friesen, eds. From Roman to Early Christian Thessalonike: Studies in Religion and Archaeology, 2010.
63. Short, J. Randall. The Surprising Election and Confirmation of King David, 2010.
61. Schifferdecker, Kathryn. Out of the Whirlwind: Creation Theology in the Book of Job, 2008.
60. Luijendijk, AnneMarie. Greetings in the Lord: Early Christians in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri, 2009.
59. Yip, Francis Chang-Wah. Capitalism as Religion? A Study of Paul Tillich's Interpretation of Modernity, 2010.
58. Pearson, Lori K. Beyond Essence: Ernst Troeltsch as Historian and Theorist of Christianity, 2008.
57. Hills, Julian V. Tradition and Composition in the Epistula Apostolorum, 2008.
56. Nickelsburg, George W. E. Resurrection, Immortality, and Eternal Life in Intertestamental Judaism and Early Christianity, Expanded Edition, 2007.
55. Johnson-DeBaufre, Melanie. Jesus among Her Children: Q, Eschatology, and the Construction of Christian Origins, 2006.
53. Schowalter, Daniel N., and Steven J. Friesen, eds. Urban Religion in Roman Corinth: Interdisciplinary Approaches, 2004.
52. Nasrallah, Laura. "An Ecstasy of Folly": Prophecy and Authority in Early Christianity, 2003.
51. Brock, Ann Graham. Mary Magdalene, The First Apostle: The Struggle for Authority, 2003.
50. Trost, Theodore Louis. Douglas Horton and the Ecumenical Impulse in American Religion, 2002.
49. Huang, Yong. Religious Goodness and Political Rightness: Beyond the Liberal-Communitarian Debate, 2001.
48. Rossing, Barbara R. The Choice between Two Cities: Whore, Bride, and Empire in the Apocalypse, 1999.
47. Skedros, James Constantine. Saint Demetrios of Thessaloniki: Civic Patron and Divine Protector, 4th–7th Centuries C.E., 1999.
46. Koester, Helmut, ed. Pergamon, Citadel of the Gods: Archaeological Record, Literary Description, and Religious Development, 1998.
45. Kittredge, Cynthia Briggs. Community and Authority: The Rhetoric of Obedience in the Pauline Tradition, 1998.
44. Lesses, Rebecca Macy. Ritual Practices to Gain Power: Angels, Incantations, and Revelation in Early Jewish Mysticism, 1998.
43. Guenther-Gleason, Patricia E. On Schleiermacher and Gender Politics, 1997.
42. White, L. Michael. The Social Origins of Christian Architecture. Vol. I and II, 1997.
41. Koester, Helmut, ed. Ephesos, Metropolis of Asia: An Interdisciplinary Approach to its Archaeology, Religion, and Culture, 1995.
40. Guider, Margaret Eletta. Daughters of Rahab: Prostitution and the Church of Liberation in Brazil, 1995.
39. Schenkel, Albert F. The Rich Man and the Kingdom: John D. Rockefeller, Jr., and the Protestant Establishment, 1995.
38. Hutchison, William R. and Hartmut Lehmann, eds. Many Are Chosen: Divine Election and Western Nationalism, 1994.
37. Lubieniecki, Stanislas. History of the Polish Reformation and Nine Related Documents. Translated and interpreted by George Huntston Williams, 1995.
– Davidovich, Adina. Religion as a Province of Meaning: The Kantian Foundations of Modern Theology, 1993.
36. Thiemann, Ronald F., ed. The Legacy of H. Richard Niebuhr, 1991.
35. Hobbs, Edward C., ed. Bultmann, Retrospect, and Prospect: The Centenary Symposium at Wellesley, 1985.
34. Cameron, Ron. Sayings Traditions in the Apocryphon of James, 1984. Reprinted, 2004.
33. Blackwell, Albert L. Schleiermacher's Early Philosophy of Life: Determinism, Freedom, and Phantasy, 1982.
32. Gibson, Elsa. The "Christians for Christians" Inscriptions of Phrygia: Greek Texts, Translation and Commentary, 1978.
31. Bynum, Caroline Walker. Docere Verbo et Exemplo: An Aspect of Twelfth-Century Spirituality, 1979.
30. Williams, George Huntston, ed. The Polish Brethren: Documentation of the History and Thought of Unitarianism in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and in the Diaspora 1601–1685, 1980.
29. Attridge, Harold W. First-Century Cynicism in the Epistles of Heraclitus, 1976.
28. Williams, George Huntston, Norman Pettit, Winfried Herget, and Sargent Bush, Jr., eds. Thomas Hooker: Writings in England and Holland, 1626–1633, 1975.
27. Preus, James Samuel. Carlstadt's Ordinaciones and Luther's Liberty: A Study of the Wittenberg Movement, 1521–22, 1974.
26. Nickelsburg, George W. E. Resurrection, Immortality, and Eternal Life in Inter-testamental Judaism, 1972.
25. Worthley, Harold Field. An Inventory of the Records of the Particular (Congregational) Churches of Massachusetts Gathered 1620–1805, 1970.
24. Yamauchi, Edwin M. Gnostic Ethics and Mandaean Origins, 1970.
23. Yizhar, Michael. Bibliography of Hebrew Publications on the Dead Sea Scrolls 1948–1964, 1967.
22. Albright, William Foxwell. The Proto-Sinaitic Inscriptions and Their Decipherment, 1966.
21. Dow, Sterling, and Robert F. Healey. A Sacred Calendar of Eleusis, 1965.
20. Sundberg, Jr., Albert C. The Old Testament of the Early Church, 1964.
19. Cranz, Ferdinand Edward. An Essay on the Development of Luther's Thought on Justice, Law, and Society, 1959.
18. Williams, George Huntston, ed. The Norman Anonymous of 1100 A.D.: Towards the Identification and Evaluation of the So-Called Anonymous of York, 1951.
17. Lake, Kirsopp, and Silva New, eds. Six Collations of New Testament Manuscripts, 1932.
16. Servetus, Michael. The Two Treatises of Servetus on the Trinity: On the Errors of the Trinity, 7 Books, A.D. 1531. Dialogues on the Trinity, 2 Books. On the Righteousness of Christ's Kingdom, 4 Chapters, A.D. 1532. Translated by Earl Morse Wilbur, 1932.
15. Casey, Robert Pierce, ed. Serapion of Thmuis's Against the Manichees, 1931.
14. Ropes, James Hardy. The Singular Problem of the Epistles to the Galatians, 1929.
13. Smith, Preserved. A Key to the Colloquies of Erasmus, 1927.
12. Spyridon of the Laura and Sophronios Eustratiades. Catalogue of the Greek Manuscripts in the Library of the Laura on Mount Athos, 1925.
11. Sophronios Eustratiades and Arcadios of Vatspedi. Catalogue of the Greek Manuscripts in the Library of the Monastery of Vatopedi on Mt. Athos, 1924.
10. Conybeare, Frederick C. Russian Dissenters, 1921.
9. Burrage, Champlin, ed. An Answer to John Robinson of Leyden by a Puritan Friend: Now First Published from a Manuscript of A.D. 1609, 1920.
8. Emerton, Ephraim. The Defensor pacis of Marsiglio of Padua: A Critical Study, 1920.
7. Bacon, Benjamin W. Is Mark a Roman Gospel? 1919.
6. Cadbury, Henry Joel. 2 vols. The Style and Literary Method of Luke, 1920.
5. Marriott, G. L., ed. Macarii Anecdota: Seven Unpublished Homilies of Macarius, 1918.
4. Edmunds, Charles Carroll, and William Henry Paine Hatch. The Gospel Manuscripts of the General Theological Seminary, 1918.
3. Arnold, William Rosenzweig. Ephod and Ark: A Study in the Records and Religion of the Ancient Hebrews, 1917.
2. Hatch, William Henry Paine. The Pauline Idea of Faith in Its Relation to Jewish and Hellenistic Religion, 1917.
1. Torrey, Charles Cutler. The Composition and Date of Acts, 1916.
Harvard Dissertations in Religion
In 1993, Harvard Theological Studies absorbed the Harvard Dissertations in Religion series.
31. Baker-Fletcher, Garth. Somebodyness: Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Theory of Dignity, 1993.
30. Soneson, Jerome Paul. Pragmatism and Pluralism: John Dewey's Significance for Theology, 1993.
29. Crabtree, Harriet. The Christian Life: The Traditional Metaphors and Contemporary Theologies, 1991.
28. Schowalter, Daniel N. The Emperor and the Gods: Images from the Time of Trajan, 1993.
27. Valantasis, Richard. Spiritual Guides of the Third Century: A Semiotic Study of the Guide-Disciple Relationship in Christianity, Neoplatonism, Hermetism, and Gnosticism, 1991.
26. Wills, Lawrence Mitchell. The Jews in the Court of the Foreign King: Ancient Jewish Court Legends, 1990.
25. Massa, Mark Stephen. Charles Augustus Briggs and the Crisis of Historical Criticism, 1990.
24. Hills, Julian Victor. Tradition and Composition in the Epistula apostolorum, 1990.
23. Bowe, Barbara Ellen. A Church in Crisis: Ecclesiology and Paraenesis in Clement of Rome, 1988.
22. Bisbee, Gary A. Pre-Decian Acts of Martyrs and Commentarii, 1988.
21. Ray, Stephen Alan. The Modern Soul: Michel Foucault and the Theological Discourse of Gordon Kaufman and David Tracy, 1987.
20. MacDonald, Dennis Ronald. There Is No Male and Female: The Fate of a Dominical Saying in Paul and Gnosticism, 1987.
19. Davaney, Sheila Greeve. Divine Power: A Study of Karl Barth and Charles Hartshorne, 1986.
18. LaFargue, J. Michael. Language and Gnosis: The Opening Scenes of the Acts of Thomas, 1985.
12. Layton, Bentley, ed. The Gnostic Treatise on Resurrection from Nag Hammadi, 1979.
11. Ryan, Patrick J. Imale: Yoruba Participation in the Muslim Tradition: A Study of Clerical Piety, 1977.
10. Neevel, Jr., Walter G. Yamuna's Vedanta and Pancaratra: Integrating the Classical and the Popular, 1977.
9. Yarbro Collins, Adela. The Combat Myth in the Book of Revelation, 1976.
8. Veatch, Robert M. Value-Freedom in Science and Technology: A Study of the Importance of the Religious, Ethical, and Other Socio-Cultural Factors in Selected Medical Decisions Regarding Birth Control, 1976.
7. Attridge, Harold W. The Interpretation of Biblical History in the Antiquitates judaicae of Flavius Josephus, 1976.
6. Trakatellis, Demetrios C. The Pre-Existence of Christ in the Writings of Justin Martyr, 1976.
5. Green, Ronald Michael. Population Growth and Justice: An Examination of Moral Issues Raised by Rapid Population Growth, 1975.
4. Schrader, Robert W. The Nature of Theological Argument: A Study of Paul Tillich, 1976.
3. Christensen, Duane L. Transformations of the War Oracle in Old Testament Prophecy: Studies in the Oracles Against the Nations, 1975.
2. Williams, Sam K. Jesus' Death as Saving Event: The Background and Origin of a Concept, 1972.
1. Smith, Jane I. An Historical and Semantic Study of the Term "Islam" as Seen in a Sequence of Qur'an Commentaries, 1970.