The following men and women have served as librarians of Andover-Harvard Theological Library (AHTL) since it was founded in 1911:
- Dr. Owen H. Gates, 1911-36.
- Dr. Milton V. Anastos, 1936-39.
- Dr. Henry J. Cadbury (Library Director), 1939-54; Dr. Jannette Newhall (Librarian), 1939-49, Helen Luitweiler (Librarian), 1949-54.
- Dr. George H. Williams (Acting Library Director); Ruby McGee (Librarian), 1955.
- Robert W. Flint (Acting Librarian), 1955-56.
- James Tanis, 1957-65.
- Dr. Maria Grossmann, 1965-73, 1979-86.
- Peter Lee Oliver, 1974-78.
- Dr. L. Charles Willard, 1986-99.
- Malcolm C. Hamilton (Interim Librarian), 1999-2003.
- Russell O. Pollard (Interim Librarian), 2003-04.
- Laura C. Wood, 2004-11.
- Russell O. Pollard (Interim Librarian), 2011-12.
- Dr. Douglas L. Gragg, 2012-present.
During most of the nineteenth century, before the AHTL was created, the "librarian" of Harvard Divinity School was a student appointed by the faculty (see complete list of student librarians). These included Edward Capen, who became the first librarian of the Boston Public Library, 1852-74, and librarian of the Haverhill Public Library, 1874-1901, and Charles Ammi Cutter, who became the librarian of the Boston Athenaeum, 1869-93, and librarian of the Forbes Library, Northampton, 1894-1903.
The only non-student librarians before the creation of the Andover-Harvard Theological Library were:
|1826-27||Sidney Willard (1780-56), AM 1801|
|1871-76||James Jennison (1821-76), (HDS) 1852|
|1887-89||Duren James Henderson Ward (1851-1942), AM 1883|
|1889-1908||Robert Swain Morison (1847-1925), STB 1872|