bMS 528

West Somerville Universalist Church (Somerville, Mass.). Records, 1884-1950

Summary Information:

  • Call Number: bMS 528
  • Title: West Somerville Universalist Church (Somerville, Mass.). Records, 1884-1950.
  • Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, 45 Francis Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138-1911
  • Quantity: 4 boxes

Administrative Information:

  • Processing Information: This collection was processed by Jessica Suarez in 2007.
  • Access: There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Historical Note:

The first parish meeting for this Universalist congregation in Somerville was held in 1881. In 1886, the Third Universalist Church in Somerville was established, with 21 members. In 1925 these church and parish organizations merged. On February 2, 1927, the name of the church was changed from the Third Universalist Church of Somerville to the West Somerville Universalist Church. A new certificate of organization was issued on March 16, 1927. The church merged with First Universalist Church of Somerville in 1952 and disbanded in 1954. The pastors of the church were:

  • Rufus Austin White (1882-1883)
  • Charles Augustus Skinner (1884-1889)
  • Charles Macomber Smith, DD (1890-1893)
  • Thomas Edward Potterton (1893-1901)
  • William Couden (1901-1909)
  • Harry Adams Hersey (1909-1912)
  • Frederick A. Wilmot (1913-1916)
  • Henry B. Taylor (1916-1918)
  • Isaac Smith (1919-1923)
  • Alfred S. Cole (1923-1929)
  • Charles P. Hall (1930-1935)
  • Thomas A. Sinclair (1935-1936)
  • Warren B. Lovejoy (1936-1940)
  • Dana E. Klotzle (1942-1943)
  • Frederick L. Harrison (1944-1948)
  • George Carpenter, student pastor (?-1948)
  • Elmer D. Colcord, DD (1948-1950)

Scope and Content Note:

The bulk of this collection consists of record books that include member records, meeting minutes, financial records, and treasurer's reports. There are also record books and papers for the Men's Supper Committee, the Ladies Social Circle, and the Sunday School. The collection also contains a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and the constitution and by-laws for the church.

For related information on the First Universalist Church of Somerville, please see bMS 547.

Container List:

  • bMS 528/1 (1) Minister's record book. Includes member records, 1884-1923.
  • bMS 528/1 (2) Minister's record book. Includes member records, 1929-1950.
  • bMS 528/1 (3) Record book. Includes member records and meeting minutes, 1886-1913.
  • bMS 528/2 (1) Record book. Includes Standing Committee meeting minutes, member records, annual reports, and treasurer's reports, April 1, 1899-January 11, 1928.
  • bMS 528/3 (1) Men's Supper Committee, 1894-1915.
  • bMS 528/3 (2) Men's Supper Committee, 1894-1941.
  • bMS 528/3 (3) Men's Supper Committee, 1926-1941.
  • bMS 528/4 (1) Ladies Social Circle record book. Includes meeting minutes, member records, and financial records, 1881-1890.
  • bMS 528/4 (2) Sunday School financial records, 1931-1946.
  • bMS 528/4 (3) Scrapbook, 1897-1901.
  • bMS 528/4 (4) "Recommendations and Resolutions Adopted by the Massachusetts Universalist Convention," Lynn, Massachusetts, May 15, 1948.
  • bMS 528/4 (5) Constitution and by-laws, 1941, 1947.

back to top