- Call Number: bMS 691
- Title: Second Universalist Church in the City of New York. Records, 1833-1867.
- Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, 45 Francis Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138-1911
- Quantity: 1 box
- Acquisition Information: Gift of the Fourth Universalist Society of New York, 2006.
- Access: There are no restrictions on access to this collection.
The Second Universalist Church in the City of New York was established in 1830. It is also referred to as the Second Universalist Society of New York and the Orchard Street Universalist Church. The first pastor of the church was Thomas Jefferson Sawyer. The church was closed in 1867.
Scope and Content Note:
This collection consists of record books that include financial information, membership records, meeting minutes, and clippings. There is also a pamphlet written about the church.
- bMS 691/1 (1) Record book, 1833-1858. Includes membership records, October 2, 1833-September 7, 1845; minutes of church meetings, December 12, 1834-December 28, 1858.
- bMS 691/1 (2) Record book, 1833-1867. Includes membership records, 1833-1858; minutes of church meetings, February 1, 1859-April 26, 1867.
- bMS 691/1 (3) Financial account book, 1837-1845.
- bMS 691/1 (4) Constitution, Confession and Covenant of the Second Universalist Church, New York, 1841 (Thomas J. Sawyer's copy, with his certificate of membership); clippings, 1850 and 1866; list of recommendations given to members after closing of the church, with a draft letter of membership transfer, 1867.