The Second Independent or Congregational Church of Charleston, S.C., was organized in 1772. This building was dedicated in 1787 (building had started before the Revolutionary War), enlarged and remodeled in 1852, and badly damaged in the Charleston earthquake of 1886. Boston-based architect and Universalist minister Thomas Silloway designed and directed its restoration. Photo showing the damage from the 1886 earthquake (credit: Geo. L. Cook, Charleston) [bMS 15001/3].