Because of the extensive research by and publications of Frederick Lewis Weiss for the Society of the Descendants of the Colonial Clergy, brief biographical information about clergy ordained in the original 13 colonies prior to July 4, 1776, is easily available.
See sample entries.
- The Colonial Churches and the Colonial Clergy of the Middle and Southern Colonies, 1607-1776 (1938) [Ref. BR520.W38]
- The Colonial Clergy and the Colonial Churches of New England (1936). [Ref. BR 520.W4]
- The Colonial Clergy of Maryland, Delaware, and Georgia (1950). [Ref. BR520.W43]
- The Colonial Clergy of the Middle Colonies, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, 1628-1776 (1978). [Ref. BR520.W45 1978]
- The Colonial Clergy of Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina (1955). [Ref. BR520.W42]
Those clergy who were graduates of Harvard College have biographical sketches in the series Sibley's Harvard Graduates (latest volume through 1774) [Ref. LD2139.S5], and clergy who were graduates of Yale College have biographical sketches in the series Yale Biographies and Annals (last volume through 1815) [Ref. LD6323.D5].
Some of these clergy also have printed biographies and/or autobiographies. Browse HOLLIS Classic under subject with last name first for the author and title of books about them. If you are not a Harvard library patron, search your own catalog for these works about them. If the book is not available locally, consider an interlibrary loan request.
For more information, contact a research librarian.