- Admissions & Aid
- Faculty & Research
- Life at HDS
- News & Events
- Alumni & Friends
Wireless Printing for Mac OS X
Pharos Popup 8.1 for Mac OS X requires Mac OS X version 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6.
- Log in to the client machine, using an administrator account.
- Download PopUp-8.1.zip. This contains the necessary Popup.dmg installer file.
- Double-click Popup.dmg to create a new disk image in Finder. This disk contains the Popup 8.1 installer, Popup.pkg.
- Double-click the Popup.pkg installer to run it. You will be requested to authenticate yourself as an administrator.
- Select a destination disk. You will only be able to select the startup disk.
- Click <Install> (or <Upgrade>). The installer automatically installs Popup 8.1 and required support files. Pharos Popup will now be running on the client machine and will be automatically launched every time a user logs in.
To start using Popup for Mac OS X, add Popup printer queues on the computer:
- Open System Preferences and click on the Print & Fax icon.
- Click the + button.
- Hold down the Control key on the keyboard and click anywhere on the toolbar. From the popup menu that appears, select Customize Toolbar....
- Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar and close the customization dialog.
- Click on the Advanced button in the toolbar.
- From the Type popup button, select Pharos Print Server.
- In the URL field, enter the URL for the desired Popup queue on a Pharos Print Server. For black and white printing to all HDS locations, please enter "popup://krister.hds.harvard.edu/HDS_BW_Queue". For color printing to the student computer lab printer, enter "popup://krister.hds.harvard.edu/HDS_CLR_Queue"
- In the Name field, enter a name for the new printer queue. This is the name that will be shown to users on the computer.
- From the Print Using popup button, select the type of printer associated with the Popup queue. If the desired printer is not available, selecting "Generic PostScript Printer" will work in most cases.
- Click Add. The new Popup queue will now show up in the list of printers.
- To print to the new queue, select it from the printer popup button in the print dialog of any application.
To remove Popup 8.1 from a computer, run the Pharos Uninstaller:
- Launch the Uninstaller application in /Library/Application Support/Pharos/Utilities.
- Select Pharos Popup and any other Pharos components that you would like to uninstall, then click Continue.
- A list of the selected items will be shown. Click Continue.
- Type in an administrator user name and password when required to do so. The selected components will be removed from the computer.
Popup is currently not compatible with the Fast User Switching feature of Mac OS X. Always disable Fast User Switching when installing Popup on a computer.
If there are printers on the network that support Apple's Bonjour technology, users may be able to bypass the Pharos printing system. To avoid this problem, disable the Bonjour features of any such printers.
If the software firewall (ipfw) on the computer is active, the following ports must be opened for TCP traffic for Popup to work:
The firewall in Mac OS X is disabled by default. If it has not been manually activated, these ports will already be open.