- Admissions & Aid
- Faculty & Research
- Life at HDS
- News & Events
- Alumni & Friends
Ann D. Braude
Senior Lecturer on American Religious History and Director of the Women's Studies in Religion Program
56 Francis Ave.
- AB, Vassar College
- MA, University of Chicago
- PhD, Yale University
Ann Braude serves as the director of the Women's Studies in Religion Program and as Senior Lecturer on American Religious History at Harvard Divinity School. Her primary interest is the religious history of American women. Her first book, Radical Spirits: Spiritualism and Women's Rights in Nineteenth-century America, explores the engagement between the women's rights movement and the religious movement focused on contact with spirits of the dead. Ann Braude is also the author of Sisters and Saints: Women and Religion in America, a history of the religion of American women for a general audience. She also has an interest in the issues surrounding the study of Native American religions, and is engaged in an ongoing research project concerning a Cheyenne child taken captive at the Sand Creek Massacre. She has published many articles on women in Judaism, Christian Science, and American religious life, and served as co-editor of Root of Bitterness: Documents of the Social History of American Women. She edited Transforming the Faiths of Our Fathers: The Women Who Changed American Religion, the result of a historic conference that brought 25 pioneers of religious feminism together at HDS. In 2005 she inaugurated the School's year-long celebration of the 50th anniversary of the admission of women to HDS with a convocation address entitled "A Short Half-Century: Fifty Years of Women at Harvard Divinity School." Religion, Gender and Politics: Untangling Modernity, which she co-edited with Hanna Herzog, appeared in 2009.
Current and Future Courses
- Issues in the Study of Native American Religion (Spring 2014)
- Religion, Gender, and Politics in Transnational Perspective (Spring 2013)
- The Religious History of American Women: Seminar (Fall 2012)
- Women and Religion in Contemporary America (Fall 2013)
- Gendering Religion and Politics: Untangling Modernities (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009) Publisher page
- Radical Spirits: Spiritualism and Women's Rights in Nineteenth-century America (Indiana University Press, 2d ed., 2008) Publisher page
- Sisters and Saints: Women and Religion in America (Oxford University Press, 2007) Publisher page
- Transforming the Faiths of Our Fathers: The Women Who Changed American Religion (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004) Publisher page
For media inquiries or requests, please contact Jonathan Beasley in the Office of Communications.