- Admissions & Aid
- Faculty & Research
- Life at HDS
- News & Events
- Alumni & Friends
Admissions & Financial Aid
The online application for Fall 2014 is no longer available as the deadline for admission has passed. Please request information to learn more about our admissions process, programs, and events. If you're planning to apply for Fall 2015 admission, please check our website in late summer/early fall for the new online application.
Harvard Divinity School attracts a talented and diverse student body who prepare for lives of leadership, ministry, and scholarship.
Students come to HDS because they are passionate about theological or religious study and ministry preparation and wish to explore this passion in a pluralistic community within the context of a wider university. They study both with Harvard's Faculty of Divinity - which includes some of the most distinguished scholars of religion and practitioners of ministry in the world - and with faculty from other areas of the University. HDS students enjoy access to all of Harvard University's libraries and to courses and resources at the other Schools at Harvard and at the Boston Theological Institute.
A rewarding career
HDS graduates go on to a wide variety of professions and vocations, including ordained and lay ministry; chaplaincy; higher education teaching and research; public and private secondary education; community development, advocacy, and human services; management and consulting, especially nonprofit; public policy, law, conflict resolution, and mediation; the arts, publishing, communications, and media.
The four degree programs HDS offers allow for a flexible curriculum in a rigorous academic environment:
- The three-year master of divinity program combines academic work with field education and preparation in the arts of ministry.
- The two-year master of theological studies program includes 18 areas of focus, ranging from East Asian religions to Hebrew Bible to religion, ethics, and politics.
- The master of theology program provides a year of advanced theological studies for those seeking additional competence beyond the master of divinity degree
- The doctor of theology degree program prepares scholars for teaching and research in their specialized fields
HDS uses selection criteria aimed at admitting a class that represents a wide range of academic interests, personal experiences and aspirations, and diversity in age, gender, religion, geographic region, race and ethnicity, and academic background.
Diversity and Explorations is an HDS initiative intended to interest students underrepresented in the graduate study of religion, ministry, and theology.
In the spirit of Harvard University's commitment to assuring broader access to its educational resources, HDS provides financial aid to all students who demonstrate financial need.
- Review our academic programs in detail
- Field Education in churches, hospitals, and other settings is a distinctive and rewarding part of HDS ministry and professional training
- See what life is like at HDS
- Contact a current student
- Connect with HDS
- Read our students blog