- Admissions & Aid
- Faculty & Research
- Life at HDS
- News & Events
- Alumni & Friends
Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza
Krister Stendahl Professor of Divinity
- Theologicum (MDiv), Lic. Theol., University of Würzburg
- Dr. Theol., University of Münster
- Dr. hc. mult.
Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, Krister Stendahl Professor of Divinity, has done pioneering work in biblical interpretation and feminist theology. Her teaching and research focus on questions of biblical and theological epistemology, hermeneutics, rhetoric, and the politics of interpretation, as well as on issues of theological education, radical equality, and democracy.
Professor Schüssler Fiorenza is a co-founder and co-editor of the Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion and has been a founding co-editor of the feminist issues of Concilium. She was elected the first woman president of the Society of Biblical Literature and has served on the boards of major biblical journals and societies. In 2001, she was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In recognition of her work, she has received honorary doctorates from St. Joseph's College in Connecticut, Denison University in Ohio, St. Bernard's Institute, Rochester, New York, the University of Uppsala, Sweden, the University of Würzburg, the Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University, Augustana Theologische Hochschule in Bayern, and, most recently, has received the Jerome Award of the Catholic Library Association.
Her published work includes In Memory of Her (translated into 13 languages); Bread Not Stone: The Challenge of Feminist Biblical Interpretation; But She Said: Feminist Practices of Biblical Interpretation; Discipleship of Equals: A Critical Feminist Ekklēsia-Logy of Liberation; Revelation: Vision of a Just World; Searching the Scriptures: A Feminist Introduction and Commentary (2 vols.); The Power of Naming: A Concilium Reader in Feminist Liberation Theology; Jesus: Miriam's Child, Sophia’s Prophet: Critical Issues in Feminist Christology; Sharing Her Word: Feminist Biblical Interpretation in Context; Rhetoric and Ethic: The Politics of Biblical Studies; Jesus and the Politics of Interpretation; Wisdom Ways: Introducing Feminist Biblical Interpretation; Grenzen überschreiten: Der theoretische Anspruch feministischer Theologie; The Power of the Word: Scripture and the Rhetoric of Empire; Democratizing Biblical Studies Toward an Emancipatory Educational Space; and Transforming Vision: Explorations in Feminist The*logy. She recently co-edited, with Laura Nasrallah, Prejudice and Christian Beginnings: Investigating Race, Gender, and Ethnicity in Early Christian Studies and, with Kent Richards, Transforming Graduate Biblical Education: Ethos and Discipline. Her most recent book is Changing Horizons: Explorations in Feminist Interpretation.
Current and Future Courses
- Diversity in New Testament Interpretation (Fall 2013)
- Feminist Biblical Interpretation (Spring 2014)
- Gospel Stories of Women (Fall 2014)
- New Testament Ethics and Theology: Seminar (Fall 2014)
- New Testament Seminar for Doctoral Dissertations (Academic Year 2013)
- Seminar for Advanced New Testament Students (Academic Year 2013)
- Changing Horizons: Explorations in Feminist Interpretation (Fortress Press, 2013) Publisher page
- Transforming Vision: Explorations in Feminist The*logy (Fortress Press, 2011) Publisher page
- Prejudice and Christian Beginnings: Investigating Race, Gender, and Ethnicity in Early Christian Studies (Fortress Press, 2009) Publisher page
- Democratizing Biblical Studies Toward an Emancipatory Educational Space (Westminster John Knox Press, 2009) Publisher page
- The Power of the Word: Scripture and the Rhetoric of Empire (Fortress Press, 2007) Publisher page
- Wisdom Ways: Introducing Feminist Biblical Interpretation (Orbis, 2001) Publisher page
- Jesus and the Politics of Interpretation (Continuum, 2000) Publisher page
- Sharing Her Word: Feminist Biblical Interpretation in Context (Beacon Press, 1998) Publisher page
- But She Said: Feminist Practices of Biblical Interpretation (Beacon Press, 1992) Publisher page